In this episode:
- It’s #JRPGJuly, and you guys know by now that we are both huge fans of roleplaying games! But more than just any RPG, we adore JRPGs. In this episode, we discuss our history of why we prefer the unique genre to the more traditional Western RPG.
- We discuss what a JRPG is (literally “Japanese Roleplaying Game”)
- Common mechanics
- Turn based battles
- Leveling and gearing up
- Being able to “grind” your way to the next part of the game
- Typically have a Japanese story translated, not a western story from our culture.
- Pre-made characters and narrative vs Character creator/player choice (think Fallout/Skyrim)
- Both of us cut our teeth on the genre with early Final Fantasy games, Pokemon games, and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars on SNES.
- Additionally, we discuss our current favorites, the standouts from the past we just can’t get go of, and the ones we are most looking forward to in the future!
- We even go on tangents about how JRPGs influenced our belief systems and personal philosophies! How’s that for geeky?
- Plus, we talk about two upcoming spiritual successors to Chrono Trigger, and Beej gets so excited he preorders one of them while still recording.
- Weekly Geekery
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite podcast app, drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @geektogeekcast on Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show. Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM