Jan 20, 2017
Netflix Originals and Void’s Nintendo Switch Corner
In this episode:
- Netflix Originals tend to keep our
attention more than most other TV shows. For the most part, network
TV doesn’t interest us, and we binge Netflix Originals and look
forward to them all year long. The only other network putting out
content as good as some of these Netflix Originals is HBO.
And even that is only a few shows like West World and Game of
- Hulu and Amazon have original shows
they produce, too, and they’re fantastic as well. But they’re few
and far between compared to Netflix. Beej loves Casual on Hulu and
Alpha House on Amazon. THere are others, too, that you should check
out like 11-22-63 and The Man in the High Castle.
- Are the non-streaming networks are in
trouble? We think so. Netflix is quadrupling their content this
year, putting an additional $6 Billion for new content in
2017--including over 600 hours of new Netflix Originals. Just as an
example, The Crown was picked up for a full run of 6 seasons (10
episodes per seasons) with each episode averaging a budget of $2.5
Million. So yeah. They’re pretty confident in themselves.
Shows we discuss:
- Netflix MCU: Daredevil, Jessica
Jones, Luke Cage, and the upcoming Defenders, Iron Fist, and
Punisher (plus new seasons of the existing shows).
- Terrace House
- Comedy Specials
- Kimmy Schmidt
- Fuller House
- Chef’s Table
- Stranger Things
- Orange is the New Black
- The Crown
- House of Cards
- Marco Polo
- Bojack Horseman
- Master of None
- Grace and Frankie
- THERE ARE SO MANY MORE THAT WE JUST
DIDN’T HAVE TIME FOR
Void’s Nintendo Switch Corner!
- $300 in the US with console, dock,
joycons, cables, and joycon battery base controller pak
- Neon coloring… more colors later
probably. Dual color...kind of ugly.
- Battery life 2.5 to 6.5 hours
depending on game / settings
- Joycons look potentially
over-engineered. Why does Nintendo always need a new gimmick?
How much did this add to the price? $80 for a pair.
- Dock is $90. Expensive
peripherals all around. $70 pro controller. Maybe just buy a
second Switch instead?
- Weird Online Stuff (Nintendo being
- Free for a limited time
- Paid in Fall 2017 onwards
- Subscribers get one virtual console
online enabled game for a month. Strange.
- Separate app for chat/voice on
- Launch Games
- 1, 2, Switch
- Just Dance
- Launch “Window” games
- Has Been Heroes (March 2017)
- I am Setsuna (March 2017)
- Sonic Mania (Spring 2017)
- Lego City Undercover (Spring
- Arms (spring 2017)
- Super Bomberman R (March 2017)
- Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together!
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 28,
- Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)
- NBA 2K18 (September 2017)
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Fall
- Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday
- I pre-ordered. I knew I was going to
get this. I had the money put aside. I’m excited. I also
totally understand why most people would wait. My criteria is
generally 2 games I want to play on day 1. For me the winners here
are Zelda, 1 2 Switch (though I won’t buy it), Has Been Heroes, and
- Longer term I know I’ll pick up Mario
Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Super Mario Odyssey.
- All of that will be year one. Totally
worth it to me.
- Worried about the price point for the
general audience. It’s not competing with PS4 and Xbox One
the way they should be. It’s too close to bundle prices. I’m
worried this might be another Wii U where it’s worth it for me, but
not most people, and it won’t be a huge success.
Geeky Sponsor / Offer of the Week
- Void on The
Comic Box podcast this week talking about Batman the Telltale
- Beej - More Marvel Future Fight on
mobile devices / Star Wars Force Arena on mobile phones / Agents of
SHIELD Season 3 / Amazing Spider-man (2015) / Civil War II
- Void - Stellaris / Acquisitions Inc
Holiday Special / Silver Surfer comics by Dan Slott / Sherlock
Season 4 / Revisiting stuff
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite
drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact
us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show.
Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek Offer of the Week:
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM