Jul 19, 2018
Online Communities 2018
In this episode:
- We check in on online communities in
2018 from how we’re feeling about them to how we interact with them
day to day.
- We started blogging and this podcast
for the community. To make friends. To bring people together over
things we love. And while the communities and their platforms may
have changed, we may be getting back to a more personal era of
- How we use online communities has
changed a lot over the past ten years. We go through what it means
to be a Redditor or a lurker, making friends on different
platforms, and even how we balance the need for calm in places with
still wanting to know about people's lives and how things affect
them as people.
- Beej discusses how things that are
forums-based bring out the worst in him because of his old Bad
- Void talks, again, about how
you need to unsubscribe from all of the default Subreddits.
Then you can find ones you like.
- We discuss Slack and Discord, and how
they are iterative takes on IRC from back in the day.
- Void still thinks Discord is all
about voice. Beej tries to convince him it's not.
- Void uses Slack for play, but not for
work. He's backwards!
- Beej got wild hair and set up a Geek
to Geek Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/geektogeekcast
- We’ve both been sucked into MMOs so
hear us catch up on FFXIV, World of Warcraft, and Elder Scrolls
Geek to Geek Community
Geek to Geek Podcast Network Shows:
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite
drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact
us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show.
Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek Offer of the Week:
Music by CarboHydroM